Complexity and Resilience
“What explains the remarkable regularities in distribution and abundance of species, in size distributions of organisms, or in patterns of nutrient use? How does the biosphere maintain exactly the right conditions necessary for life as we know it?” (Levin, 2005)
- Anand, M et al. (2010) Ecological systems as complex systems: challenges for an emerging science. Diversity 2: 395-410.
- Anderies, J. M., B. H. Walker, et al. (2006). Insight, exploring resilience in social- ecological systems: fifteen weddings and a funeral: case studies and resilience based management. Ecology and Society 11(1): 21-33.
- Boero F, et al. (2004) From biodiversity and ecosystem functioning to the roots of ecological complexity. Ecological Complexity 1: 101-109.Peterson, G., C. R. Allen, et al. (1998). Ecological resilience, biodiversity, and scale. Ecosystems 1(1): 6-18.
- Benson, M. and A. Garmestani (2011). Can We Manage for Resilience? The Integration of Resilience Thinking into Natural Resource Management in the United States. Environmental Management 48(3): 392-399.
- Brand, F. S. and K. Jax (2007). Focusing the meaning(s) of resilience: Resilience as a descriptive concept and a boundary object. Ecology and Society 12(1).
- Burton, P. J. (2010). Striving for Sustainability and Resilience in the Face of Unprecedented Change: The Case of the Mountain Pine Beetle Outbreak in British Columbia. Sustainability 2(8): 2403-2423.
- Campbell E et al. (2009) Ecological resilience and complexity: a theoretical framework for understanding and managing BC’s forest ecosystems in a changing climate. BC Min For, Victoria, BC. Tech. Rep. 067.
- Carpenter, S., B. Walker, et al. (2001). “From metaphor to measurement: Resilience of what to what?” Ecosystems 4(8): 765-781.
- Chapin III, F. S., G. P. Kofinas, et al., Eds. (2009). Principles of ecosystem stewardship: Resilience-based natural resource management in a changing world. NY: Springer Verlag.
- Chapin III, F. S., A. D. McGuire, et al. (2010). Resilience of Alaska’s boreal forest climate change. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 40: 1360-1370.
- Cordonnier, T., B. Courbaud, et al. (2008). Permanence of resilience and protection efficiency in mountain Norway spruce forest stands: a simulation study. Forest Ecology and Management.
- Cropp, R. and A. Gabric (2002). Ecosystem adaptation: Do ecosystems maximize resilience? Ecology 83(7): 2019-2026.
Fischer, J., G. D. Peterson, et al. (2009). Integrating resilience thinking and optimisation for conservation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24(10): 549-554. 12
- Folke, C., S. Carpenter, et al. (2004). Regime shifts, resilience, and biodiversity in ecosystem management. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 35: 557-581.
- Gunderson, L., C. R. Allen, et al., Eds. (2010). Foundations of ecological resilience. Washington, DC: Island Press.
- Gunderson, L. H. (2000). Ecological in Theory and Application. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31(1): 425-439.
- Hamilton, E. H. and S. Haeussler (2008). Modeling stability and resilience after slashburning across a sub-boreal to subalpine forest gradient in British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Forest Research-Revue Canadienne De Recherche Forestiere 38(2): 304-316.
- Holling, C. S. (1973). Resilience and Stability of Ecological Systems. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 4: 1-23.
- Janssen, M. A., O. Bodin, et al. (2006). Toward a network perspective of the study of resilience in social-ecological systems. Ecology and Society 11(1).
- Kahan, J.H., A.C. Allen, and J.K. George. (2009) An operational framework for resilience. Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management 6(1): Article 83.
- Kinzig, A. P., P. Ryan, et al. (2006). Resilience and regime shifts: Assessing cascading effects. Ecology and Society 11(1): 23.
- Levin, S (2005) Self-organization and the emergence of complexity in ecological systems. BioScience 55: 1075-1079.
- Nelson, D. R., W. N. Adger, et al. (2007). Adaptation to Environmental Change: Contributions of a Resilience Framework. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 32(1): 395-419.
- Parrott L (2010) Measuring ecological complexity. Ecological Indicators 4: 85-92.
- Thrush, S. F., J. E. Hewitt, et al. (2009). Forecasting the limits of resilience: integrating empirical research with theory. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 276(1671): 3209-3217.
- Tainter JA (2006) Social complexity and sustainability. Ecological complexity 3(2): 91-103.
- Walker,Brian and David Salt (2006). Resilience Thinking: Sustaining Ecosystems and People in a Changing World. Washington, DC: Island Press.
- Walker, B., A. Kinzig, et al. (1999). Plant attribute diversity, resilience, and ecosystem function: The nature and significance of dominant and minor species. Ecosystems 2(2): 95-113.